Monday, 14 March 2011

Troubles, Disaster & Respect

Tests are coming, and i'm not mugging? Disaster. Its about time to start doing something about it. I have only 5 days left, MUG!

Oh ya, my personal disaster is micro in scale as compared to the Japanese disaster. Well, they are resilient people that even the westerners must respect. I read reports saying that they are stoic, in the face of the disaster. There are sad, crying and dead people but no mass hysteria. I do agree with the report, saying that it would be so much more different if it happens in LA. I believe the reaction of the people will be similar to what i see in hollywood movies. "screams everywhere, OMG!, looting and gunfights". The best part of it is, the robbers the reporter only heard about are foreigners.

This is what i respect about the japanese people. This part of their culture is the embodiment of what most asian cultures originally is. Internalise the problem, solve it yourself or don't make such a big deal out of nothing. Yes you might be injured, but someone else might be on the brink of death. Think of the whole situation before yourself, the injured you might be more useful helping other people than to wallow in self pity.

People simply walk home when the train service stopped, power cut, roads distrupted. However, I havent heard reports of complains. It probably is such a common occurence that it doesnt bother them anymore. OR, it could be that they know that there is nothing that can be done about it in the face of such natural calamities that they simply don't see the need to make the situation worse by making a mountain out of a molehill.

We will most certainly react differently from them. I heard about people who want to go to tokyo to see the destruction and also check out what the aftermath is like -_-! I think that it makes sense NOT to be KPO. The media will show it to you, damn we probably are too sheltered. I'm not complaining about it though, being sheltered does have lots of benefits. For one, we can focus on what we are good at without worrying too much about the other issues. I would hate to see a tsunami while i'm on a beach or fear about my house possibly collapsing while sleeping.

We are blessed, and by considering the whole situation, my first complain is seriously just a molehill. Its time to solve it without making a fuss.

No comments: