Tuesday, 2 December 2008

Great Happenings over the weekend

Sitex was on over the weekend!

Despite the bleak outlook of the economy, the amout of people purchasing goods was still respectable. In fact, I didn't even thought that we are in a technical recession! Most of the stuff was cheap. I guess its due to the resellers wanting to clear stock in exchange for cash before the recession sets in. GREAT discounts, GREAT products, POOR me. Lol, I didn't buy much.

The purchases I made, a Norton Internet Security 2009 3 licence. Full Stop

I think this is the first time which i bought so little stuff. Probably there won't be another time when I only buy 1 software. Well, there were other purchases for other people and probably thats why I didn't feel hand itchy even though I didn't buy much.

Purchases for other people:

3 X Western Digital Ext 1TB HDD

1X Seagate 2.5" portable 320GB

Large files on USB 2.0 is simply too slow and won't cut. I have made it a point never to buy USB 2.0 products without E-SATA. 100+ GB files take an hour or more! Enough is enough. E-SATA all the way!

Today I experimented with Raid 1 on my computer. It is the feature called Drive Expert on Asus Motherboards. I know that the performance of my HDDs could well hit 90MB/s. After setting up a Raid 1 on this Chipset, I don't think i would like to use it again. Transfer rates of about 70MB/s sounds like quite a bad performance hit... Its back to the Intel Matrix Controller for my next set of Raid 1.

Why raid 1 you ask? I personally prefer Raid 0 for speed. Raid 5 for security. Raid 10 for both speed and security.

Raid 1 is the economical reasons since i already have 2x 500GB drives which i intended to raid from the start. I have decided to raid drives for performance is simply a waste of effort. Now you can get 90-100MB/s on a HDD you raid 2 of them for approx 160MB/s . 1 year later, 1 HDD with the same capacity as 2 drives and can achieve 140MB/s. It is a good as a slap in the face for me with the decreased failure rate and reduced energy consumption.

Hence, Raid 1 sort of won't get outdated so fast, since I have to buy 2 drives and reliability for 2 drives storing the same data is 100% better than 1 drive. 2 X160gb HDD i bought 4 years ago can each do 40+MB/s and Raid 0 65+MB/s. Now 1 HDD can do 100 MB/s check that improvement out!

No comments: